Categories are a taxonomy in WordPress, they are great for grouping like objects together for better organization.
At Restored 316, our categories include Business Tips, Website Tips, Design Tips, Tutorials, and Overcomer Series. When a post is assigned a category, that post will then appear on the corresponding category page. You can see what a category page looks like on our site by clicking any of the highlighted links above. It’s helpful in maintaining good SEO practices to use no more than 5 categories on your site, otherwise, Google gets confused as to what your site is about. The 5 main categories will be the 5 main subjects your website is about.
How to add categories
There are two places to add a new category in WordPress.
- The first is in the post editor. You can locate the box below in the right-hand sidebar. Simply click the “+Add New Category” link and a box will pop open so that you can type in the new category name.
- The second is located on the left-hand side of your dashboard. The toolbar to the left is visible no matter where you are in the backend of your WordPress website. Click on the word “Posts” in the menu and then click the “Categories” option. You will be directed to the “Categories” page. Which looks like the image you see below.mThis is where you can add a new category name and click “add category” which will add it to the list on the right.
How to add text to the top of a category page
You can add text, images, and a headline to the top of your category pages.
- Click on the name of the category in the list featured in the image above.
- Add the headline, image, or text you want to be displayed in the category archives settings fields.
Check to make sure it displays on your category page
Each theme may display the headline, image, and text a little differently. If you don’t see anything on that page after going through these steps, make sure your server side cache, browser cache, and any CDN you may have are all cleared. Then re-check to see if the text appears.
How to add a category to the menu bar
You can create a menu item that directs your readers to a specific category archives page.
- Find “Appearance” in the left-hand menu. Next, click “Menus”.
- Select the menu you would like the category to display on.
- Click on the category, and “Add to Menu”.
- Don’t forget to click “Save Menu”.
Watch the Video Below to How to Use Categories on Your WordPress Website
Did you find this tutorial helpful? Share it with others!