Two weeks ago, the StudioPress team issued a critical update for the Genesis framework that is super important to update BEFORE the new WordPress 4.6. If you don’t update Genesis before you update WordPress, your site will crash and experience the “white screen of death,” which is never any fun.
We’ve already been seeing several people who have done this out of order, so I wanted to provide a quick tutorial on how to fix this if it happens to you.
Let’s go: Genesis First. WordPress Second.
- Login to your hosting account and navigate to the File Manager.
- Click on public_html>wp-content>themes. You’ll see the Genesis folder appear along with all your other themes that are installed. Delete the genesis folder completely.
- Now go to the StudioPress site and login to your account.
- Click the blue “See all my themes” button.
- Scroll down until you see Genesis Framework and download a fresh new copy of the theme files.
- This should download on your computer as a .zip file. If it doesn’t, right click on the folder and select Compress.
- Go back to your File Manager and upload the genesis.zip file.
- Once uploaded, click on the file name and select the Extract button.
- At this point your site should come right back up.
If you’ve done these steps, and you’re still having trouble, feel free to get in touch or leave and comment and we will do our best to help!