Used to, a long time ago in the world of blogging and social media, the only use anyone had for the Genesis eNews plugin was to setup their Feedburner address so readers could subscribe to receive their blog posts in their email. Those days are long gone. Now, many blogs have ditched the “subscribe via email” option and are delivering full fledge newsletters to their subscribers. Newsletters that include freebies, blog posts, and early entries to upcoming giveaways.
One of the most popular newsletter tools available on the web right now is MailChimp. Many don’t realize that you can use the Genesis eNews Extended plugin on your Genesis Based WordPress Site to integrate your MailChimp newsletter so readers can subscribe.
Here’s How to Get Started…
- Next, if you don’t already have an account with MailChimp you’ll need to set one up and establish your Newsletter. Once you’ve done that, you’ll receive a code from MailChimp to use to integrate that newsletter sign-up on your site. To snag this code so you can integrate it into the Plugin, you’ll want to go to
LIST > CLICK ON THE NAME OF THE LIST YOU WANT TO USE >SIGNUP FORMS > EMBEDDED FORMS > NAKED
- You could choose to copy and paste this code into your sidebar as is, but generally the default MailChimp code is pretty bleak and lifeless. You want your sign-up to be bold and eye catching; enticing readers to signup. All of the themes here at Restored 316 Designs come with already customized eNews coding to match the various color options of the theme; giving you a custom look to your eNews subscription area!
- Once you get the plugin installed, it’s time to integrate it. Drag and drop the eNews Extended plugin to your sidebar area (or wherever you wish to place it). When you do, you’ll see something that looks like this:
- Now it’s time to start filling in some of these fields with YOUR MailChimp Code. Your code should will be full of information and can get quite lengthy. You should see something that says <!– Begin MailChimp Signup Form –> at the beginning of your code and <!–End mc_embed_signup–> at the end. The information in the middle is what we are going to be using.
- When looking at your code, the first section you’ll probably see is your FORM ACTION code. It should look something like this:
- We’re going to insert the part of the code between the first ” and the very next ” into the section of your eNews widget call form action. This piece of code actually registers your newsletter and tells the eNews widget what exactly people are signing up to receive.
- Next, we’re going to ask your subscribers to tell us their first and last name as well as where to send their newsletter (their email address). Doing this requires inserting a name in those boxes that say FIRST and LAST. What name? That’s in your MailChimp code, too. It looks something like this:
Once you’ve inserted those, your eNews widget should look something like this:
Once you’ve completed those few steps, just hit save!
- You can also customize the text that comes before or after your signup form as well as customize the signup form text itself!
Make it Your Own!
And be sure to subscribe to our newsletter while you’re here to receive an exclusive coupon on your next purchase from Restored 316 Designs!
Did you find this article helpful? Share it with others!